Rules of the Road Topics R - T
- Required Horn
- Seat Belts
- Securing Loads
- Stop Signs
- Traffic Citation
- Trash on Highway
- Unlawful Driving
- Registration must be carried with vehicle at all times. Failure to comply is a citable offense.
- Signature is required to be on registration card.
- Change of name or address must be done within 15 days of occurrence.
Audible Equipment Required
All vehicles must have a horn that operates.
Seat belts are mandatory for those persons over 4 years of age.
Note: All drivers are responsible to secure children from birth to age four in an approved child restraint system. There are no exceptions to the law.
Operator must come to a complete stop at a stop sign at a point where the operator has a clear view of oncoming traffic. Also, operator at stop sign must yield to oncoming traffic which has the right if way.
A traffic citation is issued for violation of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code. Title 75. Signature at time of issuance is only an acknowledgment that you received a copy of the citation and not an admission of guilt.
After receiving citation you may:
- Pay fine as stated on citation.
- You have 10 days to request a hearing in front of the District Justice (instructions on back of citation).
If found guilty on District Justice level, you may appeal to County Court of Summary Appeals, and receive a "Trial DeNovo", or an entirely new trial.
Depositing Waste on Highway
Throwing waste materials from vehicles carries a $300 fine and you can be requested to do community clean up.
Television equipment shall not be used forward of the back or the driver's seat or otherwise visible by the driver.
- Tires shall have sufficient tread and not show excessive wear (i.e., cords showing through rubber) 2/32 inches between two adjacent treads.
- Tires shall not extend outside fender wells. Fender flares may be used.
- Ice grips and tire studs shall only be used between November 1 and April 15.
Fines for using past deadline:
- April 16 to May 31: $35
- June 1 to June 30: $45
- July 1 to October 31:$55
Note: When traveling to another state with studded tires, you should check with the State Police of that state to see if studded tires are permitted.
Towing a Vehicle
Connection between the vehicle shall be of sufficient strength to pull all weight towed . Distance between vehicles shall not exceed 15 feet.
- If distance exceeds 5 feet, a red flag / cloth not less than 12 inches square shall be centered upon connection between the two vehicles.
Note: At time of darkness, a red light shall replace the red flag/cloth. If ball and socket type hitch is used, two safety chains, of equal length, must also be used.
Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Controlled Substance
- Failure to take breath, urine, or blood test as requested by police officer carries mandatory one year suspension of driving privileges.
- Restrictions on alcoholic beverages - unlawful to consume alcoholic beverage or controlled substance while operating vehicle on highway
Driving Without Lights to Avoid Identification
- Unlawful to extinguish lights so a plate or type of vehicle cannot be determined.