Rules of the Road Topics U - Z
Unattended Motor Vehicle
No person shall permit a vehicle to stand without placing the gear shift in a position to impede movement, stopping the engine, and removing key from the ignition. On a grade, the front wheels shall be turned toward the curb and brake be set effectively.
If an unmarked car signals you to pull over at night and you are not sure the person is a Police Officer, put your 4-way flashers and dome light on and slowly drive to the nearest well lit public area!
Unmarked police cars used for traffic stops are equipped with red and blue lights.
Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Controlled Substance
- Failure to take breath, urine, or blood test as requested by police officer carries mandatory one year suspension of driving privileges.
- Restrictions on alcoholic beverages - unlawful to consume alcoholic beverage or controlled substance while operating vehicle on highway
Driving Without Lights to Avoid Identification
- Unlawful to extinguish lights so a plate or type of vehicle cannot be determined.
Approved speed timing devices may be used by the appropriate police agencies. Resources for speed regulation include:
- Radar to be used by the Pennsylvania State Police.
- ESP & VASCAR PLUS may be used by local authorities as well as the Pennsylvania State Police.
- Certified Speedometer must be timed for a length of 0.3 of a mile. May be used by local authorities and Pennsylvania State Police.
Any person who drives in careless disregard for safety of persons or property.
Registered Gross Weight
No trucks shall exceed its registered gross weight. This includes all classes of trucks.
Operator entering roadway shall reduce his speed or stop whichever is necessary to enter the roadway safely. After slowing down or stopping, the operator shall yield the right of way to any vehicle which constituted a hazard.
Note: Vehicles do not have to change lanes so that you may enter the roadway.