PRC - Household Chemical Collections
Since 2003, Pennsylvania Resources Council has hosted Household Chemical Collection Events in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The events are restricted to household quantities of Household Chemicals. If you have materials generated by a business or other commercial source, please contact the PRC for assistance.
COVID-19 SAFETY MEASURES: NEW FLAT FEE & PROCEDURES
Follow the link to the PRC’s Household Chemical Collection events information page for complete details.
Follow the link to the PRC’s webpage for information on Household Hazardous Waste – Safe & Healthy Living.
Please Note: All Household Chemical Collection events are held on Saturdays, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, rain or shine.
NEW PROCEDURES & FLAT FEE
- $20 flat fee assessed on all participants*
- All items MUST be placed in car trunk or truck bed
- Wear a mask if speaking with on site personnel
- Bring exact change or check, (if bringing more than 10 gallons/50 lbs, please bring bills in denominations of $20)
- Remain in your vehicle at all times
* Oversized loads will be subject to additional charges at the discretion of on-site staff. See Accepted Materials & Associated Cost section for details or email email@example.com with questions
Due to the ever changing COVID-19 outbreak, all event dates, locations, acceptable materials and associated fees are subject to change. Check back frequently for the most up-to-date list of PRC collections events, hours, fees, and list of acceptable materials.
October 10, 2020
Bradys Run Park Recycling Center
October 31, 2020
North Park Swimming Pool parking lot
S Ridge Dr, Allison Park, PA 15101
Accepted Materials & Associated Cost
NEW PRICING STRUCTURE
PRC has modified the fee structure in response to the COVID-19 pandemic by introducing a $20 fee per vehicle load of up to 10 gallons/50 lbs.
$20* fee covers disposal or the following materials (up 10 gallons/50 lbs. per vehicle):
Flat fee covers disposal or the following materials:
- Aerosol cans
- Automotive fluids (e.g., motor oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze, kerosene, brake fluid)
- Batteries & Camp fuel/small propane bottles
- Chemistry sets & Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs: bulbs only- we do not accept fluorescent tubes)
- Gasoline and kerosene
- Household cleaners (ammonia, drain openers, acid cleaners, oven cleaners)
- Mercury thermometers
- Paint products (latex, oil based, alkyd based, arts/crafts chemicals, rust preservatives, creosote, water sealers, paint thinners, furniture strippers)
- Pesticides/garden (rodent killers, insecticides, weed killers, mothballs, fertilizer)
- Photo & Pool chemicals & Smoke Detectors
*ADDITIONAL FEES: $12 per fire extinguisher; $15 per pound of liquid mercury
Please note that we cannot accept any of these items in leaky containers.
Tip: To avoid spills and damage to your vehicle, never put leaky containers into your car. If possible, transfer materials to a new container. Preserve the label and place in a zippered plastic bag to keep with replacement container. If you can’t transfer the material, you can isolate the leaky item by placing it in a zippered plastic bag, plastic bucket, etc.
*OVERSIZED LOADS will be subject to additional charges at the discretion of on-site staff. To see an example of an oversize load follow the link to the PRC’s Household Chemical Collection page Accepted Materials & Associated Cost section.
Materials NOT Accepted
- Commercial and industrial waste
- Compressed gas cylinders (large grill/medical)
- Fluorescent tubes
- Leaking containers
- Medical waste (including needles and sharps)
- Prescription or non-prescription drugs
- PCBs and dioxins
- Radioactive materials
PRC strives to keep the cost of these services as affordable as possible. Fees charged to event participants cover less than 25% of the programs cost. The remaining costs are supported by the State of PA, County Government sponsors, and through grants from charitable foundations and contributors.